Library Digital-Media Expert - Updated!
- - Community Engagement/Learning Srvs
- Bloomington, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Employer-Paid life/ADD/LTD insurance and Employer-Employee shared-cost Medical (PPO & HSA plans), access to Wellness Clinic (saves $$!), dental, competitive paid time off plan, Indiana Public Employee Retirement plan (PERF) and employee-paid voluntary benefit options such as vision, legal/ID theft, voluntary life and critical care insurance.
Monroe County Public Library
Accessibility, Civil Discourse, Inclusiveness, Integrity, Intellectual Freedom, Lifelong Learning, Literacy, Respect, Safety, Service, Stewardship
Community Engagement and Customer Service Unit
Library Digital-Media Expert
Updated Educational Requirements!Full Time, 37.5 hours per weekThis position requires some night and weekend hours.
Preference given to applications received by November 21, 2019
I have a passion for teen services and emergent technologies. I explore the efficacy of various creativity-based software and hardware technology, and identify the best method for integrating these tools with hands-on learning. I apply knowledge of teen development and engaging young adults while introducing them to new worlds of audio, video, graphic design, coding, music, art, literature, and writing.
I leverage my digital talents and experience to enhance my ability to identify and develop exciting programming content for specific audiences, as well as to coordinate multiple events across a broad spectrum of services.
I provide digital-focused informational assistance to library users of all ages and engage patrons and the wider community, including partnering with local schools and agencies.
I understand the importance of evaluation, and I actively evaluate the success of our programs and everyday services. I use my critical thinking and problem solving skills, I analyze data and patron response to ensure our success, and by following outcomes-based strategies.
I have excellent collaboration skills, as I develop and/or provide library services, along with library and community colleagues.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
I have excellent communication skills and extensive knowledge of the Library's technology services, policies, and objectives.
I employ my skills and knowledge to proactively engage with organizations and individuals providing services that reach my audience, thereby ensuring Library service is reaching current and new audiences and meets important community needs. This engagement includes participating in community organizations, events, and initiatives; creating and sustaining partnerships; participating on boards, forums and local market research and planning initiatives; and communicating through traditional and new media.
I plan, implement, and assess programs (including events, displays, online content, and other aspects) at the Library and in the community. My engagement with the community enables me to continue successful ongoing programs and to reach new audiences through innovative programs. My emphasis on partnering enables my programs to complement, rather than duplicate, those of other organizations. I actively promote and highlight the Library's services and resources, with a distinct focus on promoting programs to potential customers, partners, and the community.
I stay abreast of and contribute to research, best practices, and innovations within my areas of expertise. I accomplish this by taking advantage of professional development opportunities locally and through regional and national organizations relevant to my fields.
I provide front-line services an average of 8-12 hours a week in various locations, in order to maintain familiarity with customer needs and preferences and with Library content.
I use my audience and subject expertise to evaluate the Library's content and services, proactively making recommendations to keep them relevant. I provide oversight for Library resources and content related to my area(s) of expertise.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
An individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Direction and Development
I am responsible for communicating ideas, issues, and potential solutions to the Community and Customer Engagement Manager and the Teen and Digital Creativity Strategist.
I mentor other Library employees and help them learn specific audience, subject, and content knowledge, as well as processes. Other Librarians and Customer Service Assistants regularly consult me as a resource when they are faced with in-depth customer needs.
I may serve as a person in charge and participate in related training(s).
I collaborate with peers and strategists for program planning. Planning includes ensuring program proposals align with Library priorities, strengthening programs to be presented, identifying partners, coordinating assessment, and helping identify audiences for effective communication strategies.
I collaborate with Access and Content Services to develop appropriate collection resources.
I may contribute to and collaborate with the Audience Strategist Teams.
I collaborate with the Communications/Marketing Unit to promote and highlight the Library's services and resources, with a distinct focus on promoting programs to potential customers, partners, and the community.
I may participate in additional Teams as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience in building collaborative relationships, has a passion for engaging community, and a positive and enthusiastic approach to working with multiple stake-holders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for interacting with customers, employees and outside contacts; ability to be consistently pleasant, positive, and responsive to a diverse public and staff.
- Excellent listening and communication skills; demonstrates articulate and persuasive written and verbal skills.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in programming/event planning for a diverse population.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a mixed hardware/software environment, with active working knowledge of various forms of social media, digital creativity software and tools, and other e-based office technologies.
- Ability to learn, adapt, promote, and help others learn and use software and equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and/or work as part of a team in the library and community.
- Good organizational and time management skills; demonstrated ability to initiate, plan, coordinate, and implement projects and services and consistently meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Good knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Fluency in second language considered helpful.
Required Education/ Experience and License/Certifications
- Master of Library Science degree or master's degree in related instructional technology/media learning field strongly preferred. May consider candidates with significant progress towards a related Master's degree and an identified graduation date within 12 months of hire.
- One year of professional leadership required.
- One year of related instructional experience preferred.
- One year of related experience working with community engagement, and programming preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of adolescent development and learning in informal contexts, strongly preferred.
- May require verification of valid driver's license and proof of insurability should assignment(s) include regular travel.
Working Conditions and requirements
- Work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
- Regularly and occasionally requires standing, walking, speaking, or hearing, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms.
- Occasional moderate lifting (25 lbs.) and infrequent heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs.). Assistance with excessive loads is required.
- May occasionally push/pull materials (materials carts may weigh over 100 lbs.) and other transportation of equipment.
- Various repetitive actions and use of video display terminals and keyboards, requires using hands to finger, handle or feel and repetitive motions.
- Normal library working conditions; moderate exposure to office/maintenance chemicals (cleaning solutions, glue, paint, etc.).
- Occasional exposure to fluctuations in interior conditions such as noise and temperatures.
- May encounter exposure to outside elements, heat, cold, rain, snow, ice, etc. when traveling on library business.
Receives general oversight. Uses a wide range of procedures and methods to meet job responsibilities. Refers only complex questions and problems to manager, most often accompanied with information, data, and solutions.
Provides leadership, assists in setting standards for area of expertise, and is accountable for results. Participates in resolving challenges related to services and library-wide issues. Collaborates in the development of objectives and evaluating effectiveness, recommends changes to achieve goals. Participates in mentoring and assists with employee professional development. May participate in Person-in-Charge rotation.
Community and Customer Engagement
Community and Customer Engagement Manager
Pay Grade 8
Full-Time, 37.5 Hrs./Wk.
Hourly Rate: $19.86+/DoE
Preference given to applications received by November 21, 2019
MCPL work schedules adjust in response to changing operational needs.
- Applicants must be available for weekday, weekend, and evening shifts.
- This position may be assigned to multiple service points, including travel to Library branches and community locations
- MCPL remains open during local academic breaks and we are unable to accommodate extended absences, including those associated with semester breaks.
This job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, assignments, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with identified and communicated ADA disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
MCPL is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its employees, patrons and community.
We encourage applications from members of underrepresented minority groups.