Senior Information Assistant - Part Time 20 Hrs.
- - Community Engagement/Learning Srvs
- Bloomington, IN, USA
- Part Time
- Voluntary (shared cost) Clinic and Dental. Voluntary employee-paid Vision and life insurance, competitive paid time off plan, and other employee-paid voluntary benefits.
Monroe County Public Library
Accessibility, Respectful Discourse, Diversity, Inclusiveness, Integrity, Intellectual Freedom,
Lifelong Learning and Literacy, Safety, Service, Stewardship
Community and Customer Engagement UnitSenior Information AssistantPart Time, 20 Hours/wk.
Preference given to applications received by March 26, 2021
Join our team of welcoming, creative and curious individuals dedicated to providing children and their caregivers with excellent service. This position serves to connect children and their caregivers with books and other library resources that match their interests and needs and provides program support for children from birth through age 12. Activities includes monitoring the children's area, including the Learn & Play and Baby Spaces. Work shift assignments include other areas of the Library, presenting opportunities to engage with and assist people of all ages.
I provide excellent and consistent assistance to customers and employees. I am the public face of the Library and am responsible for ensuring that customers receive the best public service as I help them navigate and utilize the Library's physical and digital content, services, and spaces. I maintain positive relationships with Library professionals who direct and guide my daily work and with customers and the community. I thrive in building my skills and abilities within my specified areas of expertise.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- I work at different Library service points and locations
- I will be a concierge who greets and assists visitors
- I help customers locate, check out, and place holds on materials
- I create and update customer accounts and resolve issues with accounts
- I help customers find answers to their questions in person, on the phone, or online
- I provide clerical assistance for projects and daily routines, including data entry and creating reports
- I register patrons for programs
- I assist Librarians with programming and training for the public and employees
- I create and maintain displays and publicity materials
- I create content for social media posts, photos, reading lists, webpages, etc.
- I have a demonstrated interest, advanced skills, and experience in working with specific audiences.
- I participate in team and group work developing new services, policies or processes, or other special projects
- In fulfilling my daily responsibilities, I strive to embody the Library's values of inclusiveness, accessibility, respect, lifelong learning, integrity, service, and freedom of expression.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
An individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodations, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
I serve on an Audience Service Team (Children, Teen, Adult, Special). I may represent the Unit on the Customer Service Team.
Direction and Development
I assist the Community and Customer Engagement Unit Manager, Audience Strategists, and others as directed. Along with my daily tasks, I may be asked to develop needed expertise in specific audience or service areas and I pursue training and education to meet that goal as well as any other needs as directed by my manager. I may be asked to assist in the training of other employees or to share my expertise with others.
I am responsible for communicating ideas, issues, and potential solutions to the Community and Customer Engagement Unit Manager
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills for interacting with customers, employees and outside contacts; ability to be consistently pleasant, positive, and responsive to a diverse public and staff.
- Excellent customer service skills, demonstrates consistent application of best practices.
- Excellent listening and communication skills.
- Demonstrated interest, advanced skills, and experience in literature and preferred instructional modes of relevant audience (children, teens, adults, or special audiences) and/or subject specialization.
- Ability to learn, adapt, and promote new software and equipment technologies.
- Experience in providing assistance for programming and event planning.
- Good writing skills.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Demonstrates good critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to assist in the mentoring and training of co-workers, resulting in increased employee skills and empowerment.
- Good organizational and time management skills, ability to assist in planning, coordinating, and implementing projects and services while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to assist in the implementation of process improvement and evaluation initiatives, supporting the enhancement of the employee/customer experience.
- Good knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of public library and business computer applications.
- Fluency in second language considered helpful.
Required Education/Experience and License/Certifications
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills and customer service commitment required.
- One year of library or related experience working with customer service in a fast-paced library or similar environment required.
- Demonstrated interest, advanced skills, and experience in working with adult, children's, teen or special audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to support users with various digital devices, software, and content strongly preferred.
- May require valid driver's license and proof of insurability.
Working Conditions and requirements
- Frequently standing, walking, moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, and moving from one work site to another.
- Regularly sitting and performing various repetitive actions and extensive use of keyboards, mice, monitors, and varied digital devices, requires using hands to finger, handling or feeling and repetitive motions.
- Work has standard vision requirements; frequent speaking, vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
- Occasional to frequent travel, entering and exiting vehicles, driving, moving, and carrying materials to and from various locations.
- Occasional moderate lifting (25 lbs.) and infrequent heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs.). Assistance with excessive loads is required.
- Normal library working conditions; moderate exposure to office/maintenance chemicals (cleaning solutions, glue, paint, etc.).
- Occasional exposure to fluctuations in interior conditions such as noise and temperatures.
- May encounter exposure to outside elements, heat, cold, rain, snow, ice, etc. when traveling on library business.
- Infrequent climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms.
Receives general direction. Follows standard procedures and operates with infrequent functional guidance. Works independently and normally sets work flow and performance routines. Unusual questions and situations are referred to the supervisor or manager, frequently accompanied with additional information and suggestions for correction.
Community and Customer Engagement Unit
Community and Customer Engagement Unit Manager
Pay Grade 6
Part-Time 20 Hrs./Wk.
Hourly Rate: $16.10
Preference given to applications received by March 26, 2021
MCPL work schedules adjust in response to changing operational needs.
- Applicants must be available for weekday, weekend, and evening shifts.
- This position may be assigned to multiple service points, including travel to Library branches and community locations
- MCPL remains open during local academic breaks and we are unable to accommodate extended absences, including those associated with semester breaks.
This job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, assignments, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with identified and communicated ADA disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
MCPL is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its employees, patrons and community. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented minority groups.