- - Access and Content Services
- Bloomington, IN, USA
- Part Time
- Voluntary (shared cost) Clinic and Dental. Voluntary employee-paid Vision and life insurance, competitive paid time off plan, and other employee-paid voluntary benefits.
Monroe County Public Library
Accessibility, Respectful Discourse, Diversity, Inclusiveness, Integrity, Intellectual Freedom,16.202
Lifelong Learning and Literacy, Safety, Service, Stewardship
Access and Content UnitMaterials HandlerPart-Time, 15-18 Hrs. per week.
Consistent attendance, as scheduled, is required.
Preference given to applications received prior to April 16, 2021
Looking for an opportunity to earn extra money? This is an active job processing materials and shelving returns. If you like working in a fast pace environment, join the fantastic staff at MCPL!
I am responsible for efficiently and accurately returning Library materials to their proper locations. I play an important role in the daily operations of collection access and am part of a team that ensures the integrity of the Library's physical collections. I maintain the Library stacks in a condition that assures customers and other employees can find desired items.
When I am working in the public areas of the Library, I provide directional assistance to Library patrons and refer them to Customer Service employees for further help.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
In my daily work, I may:
- Shelve Library materials following established guidelines
- Induct returned materials into sorting machine
- Pull materials for fulfill customer holds
- Pick up materials left by customers
- Read and straighten shelves to make sure materials are in order
- Provide directional assistance to Library customers
- Shift Library collections
- Assist with special projects
- Occasionally work at different Library locations
- In fulfilling my daily responsibilities, I strive to embody the Library's values of inclusiveness, accessibility, respect, lifelong learning, integrity, service, and freedom expression.
- I share ideas with and report areas of concern to my Manager. I report areas of the collection with space issues and identify materials with condition issues. I am a regular contributor to system wide communications and provide feedback.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
An individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- I am a regular contributor to Library-wide communications and discussions and a voice representing the needs and interests of the public and employees with whom I work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail required.
- Ability to learn and utilize the Dewey Decimal System required.
- Basic analytical skills used to sort and file materials required.
- Ability to read and comprehend written sentences in work related documents and library material labels.
- Ability to maneuver carts and lift light to moderately heavy objects required.
- Ability to shelve at floor level and shelves above six feet required.
- Good listening and communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills for interacting with customers, employees and outside contacts; ability to be consistently pleasant, positive, and responsive to a diverse public and staff.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain safe, clean, and organized work areas.
- Ability to assist in the mentoring and training of co-workers, resulting in increased employee skills and empowerment.
- Ability to participate and assist in the implementation of process improvement and evaluation initiatives, supporting the enhancement of the employee/customer experience.
- Basic computer skills with working knowledge of keyboarding and standard software.
- Basic knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Fluency in second language considered helpful.
Required Education/Experience and License/Certifications
- High school diploma or current enrollment in high school or equivalent educational experience preferred.
- Experience with picking and moving materials preferred.
- Previous library experience helpful.
- May require verification of valid driver's license and proof of insurability should assignment(s) include regular travel.
Working Conditions and requirements
- Frequently standing, walking, moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, and moving from one work site to another.
- Regular bending at the waist, stooping, kneeling associated with materials transfers and shelving.
- Frequent moderate (25 lbs.) and heavy (up to 50 lbs.) lifting. Assistance with excessive loads is required.
- Regular pushing/pulling of fully loaded book carts (filled carts may weigh over 100 lbs.).
- Regular reaching/stretching between floor level and six feet (book shelves).
- Infrequent climbing or balancing, crouching or crawling.
- Work has standard vision requirements; regular speaking, vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
- Occasional sitting and performing various repetitive actions and extensive use of keyboards, mice monitors, and varied digital devices, requires using hands to finger, handling or feeling and repetitive motions.
- Normal library working conditions; moderate exposure to office/maintenance chemicals (cleaning solutions, glue, paint, etc.).
- Occasional exposure to fluctuations in interior conditions such as noise and temperatures.
- Occasional travel, entering and exiting vehicles, driving, moving, and carrying materials to and from various locations.
- May encounter exposure to outside elements, heat, cold, rain, snow, ice, etc. when traveling on library business.
Receives occasional direct supervision. Work is assigned and performed with some functional guidance following established procedures. Works independently and as a team. Has some latitude in setting work flow and performance routines, unusual questions and situations are referred to the supervisor or manager, frequently with additional information and/or suggestions.
Access and Content Services
Access and Content Manager
Pay Grade 1
Part-Time, 15-18 Hrs./Wk.
Hourly Rate: $11.48
Preference given to applications received prior to April 16, 2021
MCPL work schedules adjust in response to changing operational needs.
- Applicants must be available for weekday, weekend, and evening shifts.
- Up to 18 hours per week may be scheduled based on Library operational needs.
- This position may be assigned to the main Library and branches.
- MCPL remains open during local academic breaks and we are unable to accommodate extended absences, including those associated with semester breaks.
This job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, assignments, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with identified and communicated ADA disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
MCPL is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its employees, patrons and community. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented minority groups.